• Shopping Basket: 0 items
    • Sign in or Register to start shopping
    

    Site of Benedictine priory, Burwell

    

    Reference Name MLI42374

    Name:
    Site of Benedictine priory, Burwell

    Summary:
    Site of Benedictine priory, Burwell

    Location:
    BURWELL, EAST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

    Description:
    At Burwell in 1100-07 a priory for Benedictine monks was founded. It was dissolved in 1427 and granted to the college at Tattershall. The earthworks did survive into the 20th century but have now been ploughed out. Some medieval pottery and carved stone have been recovered from the site. {1}{2}{3}{4}

    Sources:
    1 Index: SMR FILE. BURWELL. TF 37 NE AB -
    2 Index: OS CARD INDEX. BURWELL. TF 37 NE 1,1964, SEAMAN B H
    3 Bibliographic reference: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria County History. Lincolnshire volume II. VOL2, PP238-9
    4 Bibliographic reference: KNOWLES, D. AND HADCOCK, R.N.. 1953. MEDIEVAL RELIGIOUS HOUSES IN ENGLAND AND WALES. P83
    5 Aerial Photograph: 1948. 1948 S41/176

    Associated Records

    Last updated: 20-October-2014 10:50:37

    Bookmark with:

    Powered by Webstructure.NET