Lincoln’s very own – this video covers the history of the site and milling itself.
Nine windmills formerly graced the Lincoln Edge, now only one remains – Ellis Mill. The present mill can be dated back to 1798 but the name links it back to 1894 when John Ellis purchased the mill and his wife and son who owned the mill up until 1973.
The mill has been in working order continually since the 19th century, in fact it fell into disrepair in the 1940s and almost didn’t survive a fire in 1974. However, soon after this fire, in 1977, Lincoln Civic Trust set about restoring Ellis Mill. It took over 3 years to complete this work but in 1981 the mill started producing flour again after a 40 year hiatus.
Lincolnshire County Council manage the mill, which is run by a dedicated group of volunteers.
Grid Reference SK971722
More information on this mill can be found at: