Learning Resources for KS3 Pupils
The main aim of this resource is to encourage young people to engage with their local community through research into war memorials. The learning outcomes will include:
- To be able to explain what a war memorial is
- To know that there are different types of war memorial
- To carry out research on local war memorials
- To be able to investigate the impact of global events on the local community to gain some understanding of what life was like at the time
- To share information and contribute to a community project.
The main theme of this resource is the importance of war memorials to a local community. The activities are hands on and can be used to explore:
War memorials in Lincolnshire
- What are war memorials?
- How do communities in Lincolnshire remember sacrifice?
Uncovering the human stories behind war memorials
- On individuals and communities: including biographies of Lincolnshire people and a study of women’s roles in wartime.
- Exploring the impact of global events on local communities.
Keeping history alive
- Call to action to encourage young people to research local war memorials and contribute to the Lincolnshire Remembrance Project.
The resources are for activities which have a curriculum focus based on English and History.
At Key Stage 3 these sessions should be particularly helpful in helping to develop an understanding of
- British, local and world history and how the three relate to create a clear narrative.
- Historical terms
- Historically valid questions.