• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

Wesleyan Bridge Street Church Members (Lost)

Conflict Commemorated:WW1

Address:Wesleyan, Bridge St

Parish:Gainsborough

Type of Memorial:Board/Plaque/Tablet

Architect/ Designer:Mr. J.W. Brocksom

Manufacturer:Lettering by Mr. H. Dorrington. Messes Johnson and Swaby have been responsible for the carving

Materials Used:Oak and marble

Description:The memorial consists of a handsome marble tablet with surroundings of carved oak. The inscriptions, in raised oak letters, are "Faithful unto death," and "Their name liveth for evermore.

Inscription:"Faithful unto Death" In Ever Loving Memory of the Members of this Congregation who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1918. B. ADDISON B. BARNES S. BASSETT T. W. BEDFORD K. BENNETT J. W. BLOW A.E. CLARKE H.E. COLVER J.H. CROW E. FOWLER F. IRVING J. IRVING H. JOHNSON R. MELLOWSHIP J. MORRISS A.E. NEWBERT. R.H. NEWBOLD W.H. OYITCH H. SIDDY W. SIMONS L. SMITH J. W. TOPHAM H. WALKER G. WESELBY H. WILLERTON "Their Name Liveth for Evermore"

Notes on Condition:UKNIWM Ref: 54280

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:Peter Bradshaw

Notes:The chapel was opened in 1883 and closed in 1963. The congregation joined with the Shakepeare Street Chapel to form St Andrew's Methodist Church. The original church has now been demolished and the fate of the memorial is unknown.

Sources Used:Gainsborough News, 13th December 1921

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 27 Oct 2015

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET