• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

War Memorial

Conflict Commemorated:WWI

Address:Gilbert Road / Harlow St

Parish:Little Coates

Type of Memorial:Cross

Description:A Celtic cross in granite set on a concrete base. It measures around 1610mm high and 220m wide. The base measures 560mm wise at its top and 680mm at its bottom.

Inscription:IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH BOTH THOSE WHO FOUGHT AND THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR GOD FOR ENGLAND AND FOR FREEDOM IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919

Memorial Condition:The war memorial is in poor condition and the inscription is difficult to read.

Notes on Condition:The war memorial was moved in October 2005 as part of the Telegraph's community pride campaign. It now resides in the garden of West Marsh Community Centre on Armstrong street.

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:John Readman

Notes:It was unveiled on Sunday 17th October 1920. The service was led by Rev.E.F.Fagan and was unveiled by Lord Yarborough,

Sources Used:The Grimsby News, Firday October 22nd 1920

Photograph Credits:Brenda Coulson

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 13 Dec 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET