• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

Marton

Conflict Commemorated:Great War; World War II

Address:St Margarets Churchyard

Parish:Marton

Type of Memorial:Cross

Manufacturer:Richard John Foster of Gainsborough

Materials Used:Stone

Description:Medieval Cross. circa 14th Century, restored as a war memorial and unveiled 31 July 1921. Limestone ashlar. 3 steps lead up to tall rectangular base with chamfered corners, with octagonal shaft, necking and cap above. The abacus and cross finial are Twentieth century additions

Inscription:EDWARD CROSSLEY JOHN HUTCHINSON JOHN E. DEEKS SAMUEL J. MEADOWS CHARLES E. DIXON WILLIAM ROBINSON ROBERT W. GRAHAM WALTER D.D. WEBSTER 1939 1945 JAMES FORD ERNEST WHITTON

Transcription:TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND MEMORY OF THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 1918. "THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE". IN REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 1945

HERMonUID:MLI50624

Listed Memorial:Y

Grade:II

Listed Memorial Reference Number:1146582

Notes:The original cross was thought to have stood in the market place but was moved to the churchyard. It was said to be made of stone from Roche Abbey. In 1921 when the faculty was applied for the base and shaft were already in the churchyard opposite the south porch. The faculty asked for permission to move the base from it's position to a new position to the East of the church near the road. The cross was to be restored in memory of those who lost their lives in the Great War. The finished cross was proposed to be about 12 feet high. On the top step it was proposed to engrave the names of the parishioners who had lost their lives. The petioners (the vicar - Revd Isaac Holmes Mallinder and Arthur Charles Wright (Churchwarden) and the parishioners undertook to be responsible for the costs and care of the monument.

Sources Used:MARTON PAR 8/2 Faculty 1921

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 19 Jan 2017

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET