• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

Crew Of Lancaster LL811 BQ J And Their Comrades

Address:St Denys

Parish:North Killingholme

Type of Memorial:Board/Plaque/Tablet

Description:Lancaster Bomber LL811 BQ J which took off from North Killingholme at 23.34 Hrs on the 6th June 1944 as the lead plane in the first wave of the bombing run which preceeded the Normandy landings was recommended for a Croix de Guerre. The award was officially made on June 2nd 1985. In the South aisle two wall strips support a series of 550 Squadron related plaques, certificates and photographs including a wall shield presented to the Bomber Crew, a translation of the collective Croix de Guerre diploma, the plaque explaining the memorial stained glass window and a photograph of 'B' Flight . The small Squadron Badge presented to the crew carries around its supporting base the names of the crew of BQ-J as follows F.O. Bowen-Bravey (newspaper states Barvery & Air Force Memorials states Bowen); PO Zhomed G.E.; WO Cleghorn A.; WO Fyfe J.D.; Flt. Sgt. Bodill; Sgt. Thompson R.R.; and Sgt. Thompson S.G.

Inscription:"On June 6th 1944 the greatest liberating armada ever assembled left the shores of England. For Bomber Command the invasion of occupied Europe commenced the night before. At 23.34 hours Lancaster LL811. Squadron markings BQ-J was the first aircraft in the first wave to strike ahead of the main spearhead by many hours, so setting the momentous events in motion. That aircraft left from 550 Squadron, and this historic operation put North Killingholme on the map. For the brave young lads of that crew and for all their comrades who did not return we dedicate this simple plaque"

Notes on Condition:UKNIWM Ref: 5425

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:Mike Leeman

Notes:The award was recommended at the time of the attack but never materialised. Mr Harold Jubb, the administration officer for the Confederation of Ex- Servicemen of Europe spent five years researching the incident and as a result the French Government approved the award. The award was officially made on June 2nd 1985. The dedication service took place on 23rd September 1990 at 2pm. The service was led by Revd. T. R Shepherd, Vicar of Killingholme.

Sources Used:Grimsby Evening Telegraph Tuesday September 25 1990.

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 13 Dec 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET