• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

North Somercotes War Memorial

Conflict Commemorated:WW1, WW2

Address:Keeling St

Parish:North Somercotes

Type of Memorial:Cross

Manufacturer:Messrs Mawer Bros of Louth

Materials Used:Granite

Description:10ft celtic cross in granite with ornate knotwork on the face. The memorial is in Keeling Street (A1031), enclosed by wrought iron fencing on a small piece of land in front of a bungalow on the north side of the road.

Inscription:THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ IN THE MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 H. ACKRILL C. L. LOUCHEED/ J. CHAPMAN C. NICHOLLS/ J.W. CLAYTON J. NICHOLLS/ F. COOK W. PARKER/ J. W. COOK C. P. SHORT/ B. HALLETT A. B. SMITH/ H. HOBSON V. SMITH/ W. JANNEY P. STUBBS/ S. JOHNSON S. A. SUTTON/ H. LAKING C. E. TACEY/ W. LAMBERT S. A. WILLEY THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE 1939 - 1945/ J. H. COOK/ R. E. LOWIS/ C. H. MURFITT/ ALSO SERVED/ J. R. HALLETT H. JACKLIN/ C.R. HARNESS J. JESNEY/ G. F. HOBSON W. JOHNSON/ W. HOBSON H. W. KIRK/ L. HODGSON A LAMBERT/ A. HOUSHAM C. W. LOUGHTON/ F. HUMBERSTONE HO. LOUGHTON/ G. W. HUMBERSTONE HT. LOUGHTON/ L. S. HUMBERSTONE R. H. LEAK/ W. HUMBERSTONE W. LEAK/ C. W. HUTTON J. W. LIBELL/ J. HUTTON F. LOWIS/ G. JACKLIN E. MERRIKIN/ KILLED IN NORTHERN IRELAND 1972/ PR. MARTIN ROBINSON ALSO SERVED/ W. R. MERRIKIN J. STANDALDIT/ F. MICHAEL H. W. STEPHENSON/ W. MICHAEL T. R. STEPHENSON/ J. MURCATROYD J. L. STUBBS/ J. NICHOLLS T. STUBBS/ A. D. PADDISON A. VICKERS/ C. PORTUS A. L WORRALE/ S. PORTUS L. WEST/ S. PROUDFOOT J. WEST/ C. ROBERTS V. WILSON/ T. ROBERTS R WINDLEY/ V. ROBERTS R. WINDLEY/ I. ROBINSON M. E. WITTY/

Notes:The total cost of the memorial was £218 11s 4d. It was unveiled on 31st October 1920. The land had been gifted by Mrs T F Humberstone. The unveiling was performed by Major Frederick John Ingoldby of Louth.

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 19 Sep 2019

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET