• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

Willoughton Obelisk

Conflict Commemorated:WW1 and WW2

Address:Junction of Templefield Road and Church Street

Parish:Willoughton

Type of Memorial:Obelisk

Materials Used:Granite

Description:Polished red Aberdeen granite obelisk set on a tapered pedestal and two tiered base. The inscriptions are engraved on the facade with a laurel leaf carved in relief on the obelisk. The memorial is sited on top of a large concrete plinth, characteristic of those elsewhere in the village produced by the Nicholson farming family. It is located on the corner of Templefield Road and Church Street. Size: 2500 x 1125 x 1125mm

Inscription:IN/ EVER GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF/ WILLOUGHTON/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ Q.M.S. MAY TOM/ CPL CATLEY JOHN B/ PTE BROCKLESBY EDWARD T/ PTE CATLEY DOUGLAS/ PTE CATLEY DONALD/ PTE FENTON PERCY/ PTE HARRISON FRED/ PTE HOWDEN ARTHUR/ PTE PAGE FRED/ PTE POGSON JAMES/ PTE SLIGHT CHARLES H/ 1914 - 1918 1939-1945 George William Palmer

Memorial Condition:Good

Custodian/ Responsibility for Maintenance:Willoughton Parish Council

Notes on Condition:There are some concerns over the platform which the obelisk rests on as there is evidence of cracking.

Notes:The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 21st August 1927 at 3pm. Mr F.F. Nicholson invited Major Piggott to unveil the memorial and wreaths from the parishioners were laid by Lieutenant Francis Weatherhogg, RNR. A second World War casualty -George William Palmer was added in 2000 by Willoughton Parish Council

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 13 Dec 2016

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET