• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping

RAF DUNHOLME LODGE STATION BOARD

Conflict Commemorated:WWII

Address:Lawres Room, William Farr School, Welton

Parish:Welton

Type of Memorial:Board/ plaque/ tablet

Description:Wooden board mounted with the badges of the squadrons who were stationed there.

Inscription:RAF DUNHOLME LODGE: The first unit to be stationed at Dunholme Lodge was 1485 (Bomber) Gunnery Flight, from August to October 1942. AVRO of 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron moved in during May 1943, which then formed part of of No. 5 Group Bomber Command. The first operation was flown by 44 squadron on 11 June. Lancasters from 49 squadron were art Dunholme Lodge during 1943. 619 Squadron arrived in October 1943. Both squadrons moved out in September out in September 1944. No. 1 group and 170 Squadron took up residence with Lancasters. In 1945 a Ministry of Aircraft production unit was based at Dunholme Lodge. in the summer of 1945 the Polish Air Force depot and Record Office was based on the station, which transferred to the Polish Resettlement Corps in 1946 and closed in 1947. The station reopened in 1958. between 1959 and 1964 Bloodhound surface to air missiles of 141 Squadron provided defence for nearby R A F Scampton. RAF Dunholme Lodge finally closed in 1964. A memorial plaque on personnel of 44 Squadron may be seen in nearby Dunholme village church.

Notes on Condition:WMO262409

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:C J Anderson

Sources Used:C J Anderson

Submit a memorial

Not found what you're looking for? Search again

Last updated: 19 Sep 2019

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET