• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping


Men of Messingham



Reference Name LM1725

Conflict Commemorated:WW1 and WWII

Address:Jct. High St and Church St

Parish:Messingham

Type of Memorial:Cross

Materials Used:Darley Stone

Description:The memorial is sited at the junction of Northfield Road and Church St and measures 1520 wide x 1215 high and 3795mm high. It features a cross in Darley Stone, recessed in a moulded foundation. On the upper most part there is a granite tablet upon which is in scribed in gilt letters the names of the heroes. The land was gifted by Lt Col William Mackenzie Smith, DSO.

Inscription:In grateful memory of the men of Messingham, who laid down their lives at the call of duty in the great war 1914 - 1919. T. Henry Barker John T. Bratton Charles E. Bratton William H. Clark Frank Cottingham T. Henry Cheeseman Arthur T. Green Arthur H. Hall Robert Hunsley Fred Johnson John W. Kirk William M. Lee Fred Lockwood William I. Lockwood Frank Massey Samuel Naylor Frank Spinks Walter Stow Frank Stocks J. James Tindall Frederick J. Wakefield Joseph Wilson George E. Wilson Following the Second World War the following inscription was added on the right had side panel In Grateful Memory of the Men of Messingham who laid down their lives at the call of duty in the Great World War 1939 - 1945 ______ Ronald A. R. Barley D.S.M. Henry E. Carpendale Richard D. Hiles Robert Maw Leonard Millson Cyril Norton Brian R. Pool Alan R. Raby Charles Wilmot At the Going down of the Sun and in the Morning We Will Remember Them Inscription added on the left hand side panel. In Memory of Others of Messingham who have lost their lives in Conflicts since 1945. Graham S. Witherstone Bosnia 1995

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:C.J.A.

Notes:The unveiling took place on 26th September 1920. The ceremony was conducted by Revd. Cannon Walter Hicks MA (chaplain to Fleet and Air Force). Lady Mabel Smith performed the unveiling.

Sources Used:Source: Scunthorpe Star 2nd October 1920

Last updated: 13-December-2016 15:33:46

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET