• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping


Settlement of Helpringham



Reference Name MLI90029

Name:
Settlement of Helpringham

Summary:
The settlement of Helpringham is mentioned in Domesday Book and survives to the present day.

Location:
HELPRINGHAM, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Description:
Helpringham is mentioned in Domesday Book. At this time the land there belonged to Ivo Taillebois, Gilbert de Gand, Colsuain, Robert de Veci and Godfrey of Cambrai. It had a minimum population of 38 sokemen, 17 bordars and 14 villeins (although some of Gilbert of Gand's men may have resided in Burton Pedwardine). A church is also mentioned. {1}

The name Helpringham is of Old English origin and refers to 'the homestead or estate of the Helpricingas'. {2}

The Lay Subsidy of 1334 lists the wealth of Helpringham (with Thorpe Latimer) as £15 5s 1d, the wealthist village in its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3}

The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 56 households resident in the parish. {4}

By the late 17th/early 18th century there were 80 families resident in the parish. {5}

By 1801 the population of the parish was 518 people, rising to 941 in 1881 before falling to 767 by 1901. {6}

The right to hold a market and a fair at Helpringham was granted to William le Latymer on the 4th November 1259 by Henry III. The market was held on Tuesdays and the fair was held on St James's Day (25th July). Both were held at the manor (probably the moated site at Thorpe Latimer, PRN 64549). {7}

The landowners in the parish from medieval times to the 19th century are discussed by Trollope. {8}

The village and its residents in 1856 are discussed in White's Directory. {9}

A very small quantity of 19th century pottery and a single clay pipe fragment were found during a watching brief at the Nag's Head (PRN 64551a- TF 1399 4081). {10}{11}

A possible medieval quarry pit was revealed during a watching brief at 16 High Street (PRN 64551b - TF 1380 4083). A single sherd of medieval pottery was recovered from this pit. A number of similar, but undated, pits were also seen (see PRN 62843). {12}{13}

There were once three mud and stud cottages within the village, one on The Green, one on Main Street and also at no.2 Fen Road. All have now been demolished and can no longer be located. {14}

Three ditches and a pit were recorded in April and May 2011, during a watching brief at 21, The Green, Helpringham (PRN 64551c - TF 1402 4066). One of the ditches contained 19th century finds, and the other features are thought to be contemporary. Unstratified finds of 17th century artefacts and a fragment of animal bone were also recovered. {15}{16}

Remains of post-medieval activity were recorded in 2002, during a watching brief on land at Orchard Close, Helpringham:
Three probable clearance cuts and a ditch were identified and excavated (PRN 64551d - TF 1383 4055). It was thought that these features relate to the removal of small structures on the site, prior to 1774, as the enclosure map of that date showed no buildings. A fragment of a cattle femur bone was recovered from the fill of one of the cuts.
A probable pond and ditch was recorded to the north of the clearance cuts (PRN 64551e - TF 1382 4064). The pond is likely to be the feature marked on the 1905 Ordnance Survey map for this area.
The remains of a further pond was identified, to the south of the development site (PRN 64551f - TF 1375 4050). This is also likely to be the feature marked on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map for this area. A fragment of horse bone was recovered from the fill of the pond.
The features recorded suggest that this area of Helpringham served as agricultural land from the medieval to the late post-medieval period, when the site was cleared and enclosed. {17}{18}

Sources:
1 Bibliographic Reference: Foster, C.W. and Longley, T.. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 14/95; 24/105; 26/28; 37/1; 51/11
2 Bibliographic Reference: Cameron, K.. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.62
3 Article in Serial: Glasscock, R. E.. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. p.123
4 Bibliographic Reference: Hodgett, G.A.J.. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. ? [add when book is found]
5 Bibliographic Reference: Cole, R.E.G.. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part I Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.63
6 Bibliographic Reference: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria County History. Lincolnshire volume II. p.360
7 Internet Website: Letters, Samantha (Dr). 2003. Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516: Counties and Wales. www.history.ac.uk/cmh/gaz/countyframe.html. -
8 Bibliographic Reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp.397-8
9 Bibliographic Reference: White, William. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp.546-7
10 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. Dec 2000. Archaeological Watching Brief during Development at the Nag's Head, High Street, Helpringham. HNH00
11 Excavation Archive: Archaeological Project Services. Dec 2000. Archaeological Watching Brief during Development at the Nag's Head, High Street, Helpringham. LCNCC 2000.271
12 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. June 2003. Archaeological watching brief on land at 16 High Street, Helpringham. HHS02
13 Excavation Archive: Archaeological Project Services. June 2003. Archaeological watching brief on land at 16 High Street, Helpringham. LCNCC 2002.504
14 Bibliographic Reference: Cousins, Rodney. 2000. Lincolnshire Buildings in the Mud and Stud Tradition. p.45
15 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2011. 21 The Green, Helpringham. APS site code: HETG10
16 Excavation Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2011. Archaeological Watching Brief and Photographic Building Recording at 21 The Green, Helpringham. LCNCC 2010.34
17 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2002. Land at Orchard Close, Helpringham. APS site code: HOC 01
18 Excavation Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2002. Land at Orchard Close, Helpringham. LCNCC 2001.196

Links:
Lincolnshire County Council is not responsible for the content of external weblinks.
The following reports are available from the ADS digital library.
10 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. Dec 2000. Archaeological Watching Brief during Development at the Nag's Head, High Street, Helpringham. HNH00
12 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. June 2003. Archaeological watching brief on land at 16 High Street, Helpringham. HHS02
15 Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2011. 21 The Green, Helpringham. APS site code: HETG10

Historic Environment Record

Further information can be found at: Historic Environment Record

For more detailed/specific searches you may use: Advanced search

Helpful Hint: Please quote the Reference Name / Number or the Lincstothepast item URL when contacting the Historic Environment Team.

Helpful hint: If you want to search a particular collection, or filter out unwanted collections/records – remember you can use the facetted searching to refine your results (see right hand side of your search results page).

Associated Records

Last updated: 06-December-2017 13:53:34

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET