• Shopping Basket: 0 items
  • Sign in or Register to start shopping


Sutton on Sea and Trusthorpe



Reference Name LM2359

Conflict Commemorated:WW1, WW2, Post WW2

Address:High St / Trusthorpe Rd

Parish:Sutton on Sea

Type of Memorial:Pillar / Column

Architect/ Designer:Mr William Richard Gleave of Nottingham

Manufacturer:Messrs Hodgson of Nottingham, John Robert Wilyman

Materials Used:Slate, Portland stone

Description:Portland stone monolith with a cross with the words on one side and a plaque on the other. The cross has the words pro patria on it. The plaque is a single piece of cumbrian black slate which lists the names of the fallen in WW1, WW2 and post WW2 conflicts. The slate measures 1120mm high and 430mm wide.

Inscription:IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE WAR/ 1914-1918/ ARTHUR BAKER/ AHRRY BAKER/ BENJAMIN E. BROWN/ GEORGE BUTTERY/ WILLIAM C. HAYDEN/ J. GEORGE HOTCHIN/ JOHN F. LAKE/ F.A. STANLEY LANSDOWN/ WILLIAM C. ROBINSON/ JOHN R. SMITH/ JOHN W. STEPHENSON/ JOHN S. THOMAS/ W. HEDLEY WALLIS/ E. LUDLOW WATSON/ ARTHUR WILLERTON/ THOMAS B. WILLEY/ JOSEPH P. WILLSON/ JOHN G. WOOD/ TRUSTHORPE/ THOMAS W. DAKIN/ I. NEWTON WOODIWISS/ 1939-1945/ GEORGE W. GREEN/ KENNETH M. MORRISON/ CYRIL G.E. ROSSINGTON/ HORACE W. TOW/ OTHER ARMES CONFLICTS/ A. DEREK MITCHELL 1947/ MARTIN ROBINSON 1972/

Notes on Condition:The memorial was refurbished in 2005.

Surveyor/ Supplier of Information:CJ Anderson, John Redaman, Michael Credland

Notes:The Original cost of the memorial was £320 and was raised through public conscription and events such as two concerts organised in the YMCA that added £17. In was unveiled on amistice day 1920 by Maj. James Henry Hadfield of Alford. In 1921, when the memorial cross was built in memory of the men who died in World War 1 from the parishes of Sutton on Sea and Trusthorpe, a bronze plaque was placed on it with the names of the fallen. After World War 2, another bronze plaque was placed on the memorial in the memory of the fallen from that war. A third metal plate was later added for those who died in conflicts after World War 2, namely in Palestine and Northern Ireland, and in 1996, another copper plaque erected for 3 men who had been forgotten from the original World War 1 plaque; this was of a very temporary nature.Two of the original name panels were made from cast bronze and the two lower panels from copper, which led to quite severe staining on the front. It seemed sensible to incorporate all the lettering on the panels onto a single piece of Cumbrian Black Slate therefore preventing any further staining. Although undamaged by the Flood of 1953 it was removed from its original location at the top of the sea wall and moved to its present position when the public gardens were rebuilt. The memorial was re-dedicated on Sunday 26th, June, 1955. In February, 2005, Mablethorpe & Sutton Town Council decided to accept an offer of a grant from Regeneration Across Communities of Lincolnshire (RACoL) amounting to £4,862.66p, and in March awarded a contract to clean the war memorial to Griffin Memorials of Louth, who had tendered an estimate of £6,483.55p. Sections of stonework were removed by the company, mainly on the right hand side and several blocks of Portland Stone were replaced with new material, most notably the block engraved with the words PRO PATRIA.

Sources Used:Lincolnshire Standard, Saturday, 2nd July, 1955

Last updated: 19-September-2019 08:25:48

Bookmark with:

What are these?

  • © 2012 Lincs To The Past, Lincolnshire Archives

Powered by Webstructure.NET